Thursday, January 21, 2010

Healthy Veggie Soup


Today's spring-like weather made me realize that bikini season is right around the corner. Whenever I feel the need to trim up or just eat a bit healthier, I make this soup. It is low-cal, low-carb, high-fiber and no-fat. It's an old Weight Watcher favorite and I've been making it for years. It makes a big batch so I like to break it into small tupperware containers that are easy to grab.

Ingredients:
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 large onion, diced
4 teaspoons garlic
6 cups lower sodium chicken broth
1/2 cabbage, chopped
1/2 pound frozen green beans (I use fresh beans)
2 tablespoons tomato paste (I like sun dried tomato paste but any variety works)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 zucchini, diced
1 yellow squash, diced

Spray a Dutch oven with cooking spray or use a little olive oil and heat on MEDIUM HIGH. Add the carrots, onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the zucchini and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to MEDIUM and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the green beans are tender. Add the zucchini and squash and cook until tender. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment